Up Cycle Old Jewellery & Clothing



Necklace made with Vintage 1950's Crystal beads & Up cycled Pearls.
     It's incredible what you can so with old stuff! I've been up cycling long before it became fashionable.
    I lived on a very small income for many years and I didn't have much money for anything but, the necessities, even so, I always dressed well and my home looked great! My style has always been a little eclectic and unique.
   I had been shopping at thrift shops, garage sales, church bazaars most of my life looking for beads and vintage jewelry, but, I needed to find clothing and things for my home, so I started to buy interesting cloth, clothing, shoes, bags, furniture, etc., then take them home and redesign things to create new fashionable clothing and cool stuff for my home.
     I'm a very creative person and I can see promise in almost anything.  I can look at something broken and imagine what it could be. I can see one bead in an old necklace and imagine a whole new piece of jewellery designed around it.
  Now I have the freedom to buy new clothing and things for my home, yea! but, I miss making my own clothing,  I just don't have the time right now, I'm too busy with my jewellery business, which is fantastic because I love making jewellery, it's my first love and my gift.
     I do find time for simple alterations, I have have to alter my whole wardrobe as I continue to loose weight. Ive lost a total of 86lbs over the last 2 years. Some things are just too difficult and time consuming to alter, but, some are easy so I will keep them and the rest will be donated so that someone else can enjoy them.
    I will always love thrift shops, antique shops, markets,etc, I find incredible beads and jewelry findings at these sales. Last summer I bought some amazing Faux  pearls that a woman had purchased and used to decorate glass vases for her wedding. They were in excellent condition, so I bought them, cleaned them, inspected them and most were good enough for making my jewellery.           The ones that have scratches or damaged will be saved and used for craft projects.
  Sometime I only get a few beads I can use out of an old vintage necklace, sometime only one component of a vintage piece of jewelry is usable, but, those pieces are treasures. It's extremely important to use materials that are in good and excellent condition, especially pearls, if the skins are damaged, they wont last long, but, if they are in good condition the new jewellery can become heirloom  pieces that can last for many, many years.

Faux Pearl Beads once used for display in Wedding Vases
  Here is  a photo of the pearls in a box as  I sat outside on a warm fall day. I had to put to put hundreds of the pearls on antiqued brass pins for the necklace on the top of this post. I got to watch the squirrels and chipmunks run around hiding their nuts in the lawn. It was a beautiful day.
     This necklace took days to make, so may pearls and Vintage crystal beads, and it looks amazing!

 

I looked at a box of beads for sale at a garage sale, I saw their potential. I heard the wedding story from the beautiful woman, the bride, I knew I could create something beautiful with them. They are happy pearls.
  It's nice to imagine the joy at that wedding, the laughter, dancing and singing as the pearls sat in the glass vases that day.
  Now these pearls will bring more joy to the person who wears my new necklace.
    I didn't have to go out and buy new pearls or crystal, they didn't have to be manufactured, no energy was used, the earth did not have to be polluted to make them. The environment was not impacted at all. 
This is just another way to help the environment, re use old stuff: UP CYCLE! 

 Look at everything twice. Take the time to imagine what you can do with that old necklace in your jewelry box, those old beads or stones. 
  What about that old pair of wide leg jeans in your closet, maybe you can make the into skinny jeans. Think about creating something complete different, let your imagination go wild! Have some fun and don't pass ups something just because its old or used. 
  If you not going to use it, give it away so that someone else can enjoy it again. Don't  throw out old piece of clothing, those shoes, bags & jewellery, People by all sorts of stuff at thrift shops, even old bedding. If it's clean and in good condition, donate it. You can help others and the environment. 
  Well, I hope this gives you some inspiration. 
Have a peaceful, blessed, creative day.
 Jacqueline

Please vist my webistes: anythingspossiblejewellery.com

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts